2019-2020 Undergraduate Directors

Katherine Osburn, Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies (ADUS)
Alex Avina, DUS History
Peter deMarneffe, DUS Philosophy
Jason Bruner (Fall 2019); Tim Langille (Spring 2020), DUS Religious Studies

Undergraduate Academic Advisors

General Information: https://shprs.asu.edu/content/undergraduate-advising
Undergraduate Advising Team:  https://shprs.asu.edu/content/meet-your-advisors
E-mail address: SHPRSAdvising@asu.edu

How to Post Grades

Please consult the Grade Posting Job Aid, review the Grade Posting FAQs, or contact University Registrar Services.

Course Regularizations

To submit a course for regularization, please send the following to the SHPRS course manager:

  • Approvals of the director, associate director of undergraduate studies and head of faculty for your discipline*;
  • Sample syllabus which meets the criteria outlined by the college (Word format to facilitate minor edits; substantive edits will be returned to you to preserve the academic integrity of your course and how it is represented in the syllabus);
  • Dates and course numbers showing when the course was previously taught; and
  • List of any faculty qualified to teach the course other than the instructor on the sample syllabus.

*Once you have secured the necessary approvals, please forward them to the SHPRS course manager to obtain a permanent course number to use on your sample syllabus. 

Syllabus Guidelines

All new course syllabi should contain the elements and policies outlined in ACD 304-10. 

Please note that the timeline for approval is quite long - typically a year to a year and a half after first submission if there are no problems.  We must secure approval from units outside of our school which can cause delays.  If a course is returned for revision, it will most likely push the term approval date back a semester.  If it is returned multiple times, it will continue to push back the date that the course will show up in the catalog.

Submitting Courses for General Studies Designations

In order for an ASU course to receive a General Studies designation, a proposal must be submitted to the ASU General Studies Council (GSC). The following materials are required for each new proposal and must be submitted to the General Studies Office one month prior to a scheduled GSC meeting:

Once you have put together the checklist, the specific reference form and all necessary attachments, please submit to the SHPRS course manager who will complete and attach the coversheet.


Individually Arranged Courses

This is the form to be used when setting up an individually arranged course with a student (499 independent studies or 492 & 493 honors thesis work).  This form should not be used for 494 Undergraduate Research Experience courses or 484 internship experiences, which have a separate application process. Please print your name & sign indicating your approval, and be sure to verify that the number of credit hours is correct. Then, have the student complete the pertinent information below and submit to the 3rd floor advising desk for processing (or e-mail the form to SHPRSAdvising@asu.edu). We will perform the necessary maintenance to the system & notify the student by email with the correct 5-digit class number they can enroll in.  


Students may contact faculty to request permission to take a course that is full, or for which they do not meet prerequisites. If you approve the request, the student needs to send that approval to SHPRS Advising through this online form or by e-mailing SHPRSAdvising@asu.edu. An advisor will then place the override and contact the student. If you need more information to make your decision about the override, please e-mail SHPRSAdvising@asu.edu to reach any of the undergraduate advisors. Please note that for on-campus courses, section full overrides cannot be placed if the classroom is already filled to capacity (per fire code). The advisors verify classroom capacity before placing overrides.


Academic Status Reports (ASRs)

Academic Status Report Job Aid

  • Early warning and feedback system
  • After an ASR is submitted, the student receives an e-mail with the information
  • Depending on the type of ASR, a case may be created in the Advisor Portal system for academic advisor outreach to the student
  • ASR’s may be submitted throughout the semester
  • Use of ASR’s is strongly encouraged for struggling students and attendance issues, especially for first-time freshmen

Incomplete Grades

Registrar explanation of incomplete grade from https://students.asu.edu/grades#grading_:  

A mark of "I" (incomplete) is given by the instructor when you are otherwise doing acceptable work but are unable to complete the course because of illness or other conditions beyond your control. You are required to arrange with the instructor for the completion of the course requirements. The arrangement is recorded on the Request for Grade of Incomplete form. Do not re-register or pay fees to complete the course. The completion date is determined by the instructor but may not exceed one calendar year from the date the mark of “I” is recorded. When you complete the course, the instructor must submit an online grade change request. If you receive an "I" in an undergraduate course in the fall 1983 or thereafter, your grade will be automatically changed to a failing grade "E" if you do not complete the course within one calendar year. If you receive an "I" in a graduate course (500-level or above) your "I" grade will become a permanent part of your transcript if you do not complete the course within one year, and you will have to reregister and pay fees to repeat the course for credit. Marks of "I" are changed to a grade of "E" (0.00) for purposes of evaluating graduation requirements for undergraduate students.


  • The request for a grade of incomplete is usually initiated by the student. If you approve the request:
    • You and the student complete the Request for Grade of Incomplete form. Submit the form to the Undergraduate Advising Manager or SHPRSAdvising@asu.edu.
    • Post a grade of “I” for the student (Note: this step may be done before submitting the Request for Grade of Incomplete form if needed)
  •  You must provide a way for the student to make up the remaining coursework within one calendar year. You may specify an earlier deadline if desired.
  • The student must NOT re-enroll in the course in a future term as a way of making up the grade. This opens up a second instance of the course on the student’s record. Instead, the student needs to work with you to make up the missing work, and then you will submit a grade change for the original course. If the student needs to use the online course platform to complete work (especially in the case of i- or o-courses), they should continue using the platform from the original course.  
  •  In the rare event that the grade of incomplete was not initiated by the student, please ensure the student has been informed you are assigning a grade of “I.” Some students don’t check their grades in a timely manner. The Request for Grade of Incomplete form will clarify to the student exactly what needs to be done to complete the course.
  • Questions? Contact the Undergraduate Advising Manager or SHPRSAdvising@asu.edu.